3am starts are a normal thing in my life, I'm on the road for weeks at a time and flying all over the place. Don't get me wrong, even though it sounds like I am bragging about my 'privileged life', I'm not. For the first year or so it's extremely exciting and the adrenalin keeps you going no problems, but after doing it for 3 years now I had to learn how to maintain my energy and motivation.
If you want to maintain high levels of energy and motivation, you need to protect your environment at all costs. Lets define this word ENVIRONMENT.
[en-vahy-ruh n-muh nt, -vahy-ern-]
1. the aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences;surroundings; milieu.
2. Ecology. the air, water, minerals, organisms, and all other externalfactors surrounding and affecting a given organism at any time.
3. The social and cultural forces that shape the life of a person or apopulation.
4. Computers. the hardware or software configuration, or the mode ofoperation, of a computer system: In a time-sharing environment, transactions are processed as theyoccur.
5. An indoor or outdoor setting that is characterized by the presence ofenvironmental art that is itself designed to be site-specific.
This is how the dictionary would define the word. I'd like to share a definition that I feel is a little more relevant for us, especially when it comes to energy and motivation management. Please do keep in mind, I am still learning on this journey and I am sure I will evolve my definition as I go through life :)
A simple way to look at your environment
1. The books that you read
2. The people with which you spend time with
3. The community in which you live
4. Your occupation
5. Clothes you wear
6. Songs you listen too
This is just a simplified list of what I feel contributes to our environment. As a keynote speaker, people sometimes think I am 'putting it on' when I get on stage. They think I am putting on the energy, the optimism, the humour etc. You see, I realised very early on in my career that my goal as a speaker isn't to become like Anthony Robbins, Gary Vaynerchuck or Derren Brown (my favourite magician). But rather I wanted to learn how to be comfortable on stage so that I can be myself, over the last 3 years I feel I've been able to reach this goal. What you see is what you get, this is who I am.
People often then would ask;
Q: "Vinh how do you maintain your energy and motivation??"
A: The answer is simple, I protect my environment at all costs.
"Our mind feeds upon that which we supply it, or that which is forced upon it, through our environment."
This is why it's so important to reflect on what you are trying to achieve in life and ensure that you build and craft the optimal environment in which your mind will be able to thrive.
In my life I make sure that I am always; reading good books, spending time with those that inspire me, dress my best, listen to music that moves me and ensure that I am doing what I love most. This sounds really simple, I know, but I am ridiculously consistent with this.
This is how I stay on top of my crazy life, how do you maintain your energy and motivation? Share with me how you do it! I'd love to hear from you.